Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Few REALLY Old Poems


http://museumvictoria.com.au/crust/images/crusties/caridea1/j20923.jpgLike I've mentioned, probably a million times, I've been writing since I was eight. If you've been to one of my shows, you may have heard me recite my first poem, a limerick I wrote in 3rd grade:

There once was a very small shrimp
Who ate till he grew like a blimp
Every day he got worse
Until one day he burst
& that was the end of the shrimp
Not bad for eight, right? Anyway, I've never really posted much of my really old stuff, mostly because it was written before I ever took a college level writing course. But being as I just came across an old book of my pre-college work, I figured I'd share some of it. After all, I no longer have any shame. Just don't be too hard on me, okay?


http://speakupchurch.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/church_bell_automation.jpg
Sometimes

I sometimes wish
you could see my success.
When I wish too loudly
I am told you do,
I am told you share in it,
I am even told you help.
I don't believe them.
I want to believe them.

Perhaps I'm just so vain
that what I truly want
is what I can't have:
to hear your pride ring
loud like church bells
after mass.

Is it really my pride
or just a need for your
reassurance to go on?


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Jasminum_sambac_%27Grand_Duke_of_Tuscany%27.jpg
Jasmine

I put my fingers to my nose
& smell the sweet scent of jasmine.
It seems amazing that once I touched her
the scent never went away.

I close my eyes, fists pressed tight
against them, & through the stars
I see her face.
It seems amazing that once I touched her
the scent never went away.

I lick at my tears as they roll
down my face, & through the salt
I taste the essence of our sin.
It seems amazing that once I touched her
the scent never went away.

& through the static of my speakers
I can hear her sweet,
sweet jasmine voice, speaking
to my soul, singing,
"I love you."
Is it so amazing that I needed only touch
her once, & now I know
the scent will never go away.

Okay, that'll do for now. Maybe more later.

Much Love!

No comments: