Friday, September 26, 2008

Orange Eye

Inspired by a butterfly bush outside the kitchen window during a vacation on McKay's Cove Beach in Southern Maryland. Beautiful vacation! First time I saw a bird dive into the water and come out with a fish, in person. Also met a McKay!

Hummingbird Clearwing Moth



















Orange Eye

I don’t have to write

this poem;
it writes itself;
how could it not?
At ten,
the monarchs come to feed
on the purple orange eye
outside
the kitchen window
as I wash dishes,
monarchs & moths that look
like little hummingbirds,
fan tails and all,
buzzing bud to bud
to suck on the sweet
nectar.

At three

their brothers come,
butterflies wearing tiger skins,
with iridescent blue
spots for wings,
dangling upside down
with their black
winged cousins,
to catch
the undersides of the buds
that previous bug
gourmands have missed.
The tigers patiently probe
each bud
with their probosces,
while the jet
butterflies flutter
frenetically before moving
on, looking for the easy meal.

I could wash this dish
for days.

I don’t have to write

this poem.
The Universe wrote it
for me
long ago.