Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Poem for Alan Turing

I posted this poem today for entirely different reasons. Then I saw today's google doodle & realized it was Alan Turing's birthday. He would have been 100.
For those who may not know, Alan Turing is considered to be the father of Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence. I learned of him because I was into codes & codebreaking. He was the Grandmaster. Alan Turing was also gay. When this became public, he was given the choice between jail or therapy. He chose suicide.

I may not be gay, but I certainly understand what it is to constantly have my manhood questioned. The difference between us? I don't give a fuck. I'm rededicating this poem to Alan Turing, in honor of the passing of his century.

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d969/d208/d745/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

memory
memory
A young boy watching
through frosted glass
an icicle in pain
an insensitive sun
tiny tear after tiny tear
men don't cry
an icicle is not a man
memory
A young man staring
at broken glass
that 'lost love' pain
"You're too sensitive son
She's not worth your tiny tears
Men don't cry"
I am not a man
memory
A young male watching
though a fresh pair of glasses
so-called men feel no pain
millions of insensitive sons
haven't shed a tear in years
men don't cry
I'm glad I am not a man

(1992)

No comments: